Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Soundscape #30: "Julie Christie, The Rumors Are True"


When I first read the news on Pitchfork that Yo La Tengo is coming to Singapore back in December 2006, I spilled the coffee I was drinking. And because I couldn't find any information in Singapore, I actually emailed the band to verify (no, I'm not kidding, and they actually replied!). I remember giving the Sistic people shit because they didn't know anything about the gig. I remember shouting, pleading etc with my friend to get the most expensive tickets (we got the $90 ones in the end). I remember standing by the Sistic website, refreshing every 2 seconds, at 8:52 January 11 to get the best tickets available. Even though the seats I got were less than ideal, I kept telling myself that at least I'm going.

From the very beginning where the riffs of "From A Motel 6" began—which, incidentally, I had requested via the email to the band. Whether or not they did it for me, I don't know but that's my story and I'm sticking to it—I knew it's gonna be a real good show. I love the 3rd track ("The Crying Of Lot G") and only a band as accomplished and confident as Yo La Tengo can pull off playing such a soft and quiet track. I thought I could hear a pin drop but when I looked around, I was almost embarrassed to find everyone else dead as a fish. They were just sitting still in their seats; I even saw someone sleeping! The audience do not justify the pure electric energy that the band puts into the gig. There were times when I thought that Ira Kaplan was going to implode and at one point, I could have sworn that he was about to smash his guitar. This is a (late) 40-something man we are talking about.

The chemistry among the band members was amazing, particularly the drums (Georgia Hubley) and bass (James McNew) when lead guitarist Ira Kaplan seemed to have gone nuts on screaming guitar solos. At first glance, the setlist may seem rather inconsistent (from "The Crying Of Lot G" to "Pass The Hatchet" to "Little Eyes"?) but the quality of the performance is always top-notch. Ira Kaplan even took the time to chat with the audience, answering questions ("where are you having dinner" and "who cuts your hair") and asking for song requests (I think I must have shouted myself hoarse with "Blue Line Swinger").

You know how they say that when the gods wanted to be cruel, they'd grant your wishes? I think something bad is going to happen to me soon, because I don't see how anything else can top this.



Setlist, Yo La Tengo Live In Singapore, March 12, 2007:
1. (0:00) From A Motel 6
2. (4:07) The Crying Of Lot G
3. (8:49) Pass The Hatchet, I Think I'm Goodkind
4. (19:36) Little Eyes
5. (23:57) The Weakest Part
6. (27:00) Beanbag Chair
7. (30:02) Mr. Tough
8. (34:07) I Feel Like Going Home
9. (38:21) Big Day Coming
10. (42:40) Tom Courtenay
11. (46:17) Deeper Into Movies*
12. (51:34) You Can Have It All

Painful: #1, 9
And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out: #2, 12
IANAOYAIWBYA: #3, 5, 6, 7, 8
Summer Sun: #4
Electr-O-Pura: #10
I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One: #11

*This is not the official setlist. I merely saved each track into a playlist on my ipod as they come on. The Straits Times Life (March 14) has the track "We Are An American Band" listed... but I think they've got it wrong.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Mr Brightside said...

You got it wrong The 2nd song they play wasn't The Crying of Lot G! It was Our Way To Fall from the same album! Very sweet song that.

5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

really? I think it's Lot G..

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home