Thursday, March 01, 2007

Soundscape #28: "The Secret To Happiness Is Good Health And A Bad Memory"

Salvador Dali. The Disintegration Of The Persistence Of Memory, 1952/54.


I think my memory is getting from bad to worse, and I don't mean things like forgetting faces or things like phones or ipods (that one I will remember). Apparently entire episodes of my life have mysteriously disappeared without a trace. From small annoying things like buying the same cd/book twice (happens quite a bit) to not remembering a particularly meaningful conversation or experience with a friend. That saddens me alot. It makes me wonder about all those lost conversations I had. Since I don't remember the conversation, does it matter that it took place at all? Have I changed in any way because of the conversation if I don't remember it happening? Does this mean that it didn't mean anything to me at all but it must have, otherwise why would I feel sad?

I don't know if it's a case of time taking its natural course, diluting the intensity of experiences and feelings in its path. Or perhaps that particular memory has atrophied seeing how we no longer have the time—nor the inclination—to revisit the past. Or more likely, we ourselves are getting old and the cup that was once eager for new experiences and new things has overflowed with both weariness and wariness.



Playlist:
1. (0:00) The Mountain Goats - You Or Your Memory (Buy The Sunset Tree)
2. (2:21) Bloc Party - I Still Remember (Buy A Weekend In The City)
3. (6:47) Spoon - Something To Look Forward To (Buy Kill The Moonlight)
4. (9:06) The Strokes - What Ever Happened (Buy Room On Fire)
5. (11:55) Oasis - Don't Look Back In Anger (Buy (What's The Story) Morning Glory?)
6. (16:45) Bedhead - Losing Memories (Buy Beheaded)
7. (19:37) Beulah - Don't Forget To Breathe (Buy Yoko)
8. (22:84) Palo Alto - Going Going Gone (Buy Heroes And Villains)
9. (27:55) Wilco - When You Wake Up Feeling Old (Buy Summer Teeth)
10. (31:50) Cat Power - Remember Me

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home