Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Soundscape #22: Into Each Life Some Rain Must Fall

Troy McCullough (Idle Type). Cold Rain, November 2006.

I love the rain, even if I'm caught in it. I forgot my umbrella the other day and had to brave the rain and the wind in just a (thin) tshirt, (very heavy, as I realise later) jeans and sandals. I was going to meet a friend but he was waiting for me at the end of this long stretch of unsheltered road. I remember bracing myself at the bus stop just before the stretch and timing the lights so that I can cross 2 roads at one time. When the lights changed, I started running as fast as I could but after a while I realised it's futile as there's no way I could get any wetter than I already was. I gave up and started walking instead. It felt weird to be the only one walking while everyone was dashing in and out of sheltered buildings with colorful umbrellas and trying to avoid stepping into puddles.

Of course, it's a different battle if you're on the dry side of the glass. It's a cliché but it really is great sleeping while it's raining outside. It feels a little otherworldly to wake up and time seems to have stopped. Outside, everything takes on this sheen (sepia or black and white, depending on the rain) and the edges of the buildings seem softened and cars and other things blend into one another. It can feel pretty surreal in a heavy storm. There's also something about the sound of raindrops hitting the windowpane that is immediately comforting. It makes me want to curl back into bed. I wish it'd rain more.




Playlist:
1. (0:00) The Beta Band - Dry The Rain (Buy The Three EPs)
2. (6:03) 18th Dye - Pour (Buy Left *sorry out of print)
3. (8:32) M83 - In The Cold I'm Standing (Buy Before The Dawn Heals Us)
4. (12:37) The Delgados - Come In From The Cold (Buy Hate)
5. (16:14) Travis - Why Does It Always Rain On Me? (Buy The Man Who)
6. (20:39) Teenage Fanclub - Have You Ever Seen The Rain? (CCR Cover)
7. (23:22) Yo La Tengo - Our Way To Fall (Buy And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out)
8. (27:40) Tindersticks - Raindrops (Buy Tindersticks)
9. (33:58) Bonnie "Prince" Billy - Cold & Wet (Buy The Letting Go)
10. (36:12) Engineers - Come In Out Of The Rain (Buy Engineers)
11. (40:22) The White Stripes - In The Cold Cold Night (Buy Elephant)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home