Friday, January 05, 2007

Soundscape #20: I've Got A Devil's Haircut In My Mind

Kara Yerex (72dpi). Barber, 2005.

You know the stereotype: that people always tell their hairstylists secrets that their own best friends wouldn't know? I think it's true to a certain extent. When you're in the chair and someone is attending to your every need, it kinda makes for a pseudo Freudian setup. It's almost as if you can't not tell your hairstylist all your secrets. It may seem odd at first that you are conversing with your hairstylist via the mirror but after a while, it felt right; it felt as if you are spilling your secrets to the mirror and not to the guy right behind you.

If you ask me what kind of stuff I tell my hairstylist, I really wouldn't be able to recall. Maybe that's why he always massages my head in such a wonderful way that I will let my guard down and even forget the stuff that come out of my mouth. Or maybe it's the nice scent of the mint shampoo he uses on me; I think peppermint really relaxes someone and make him/her spill everything s/he knows. Someone should implement this instead of sleep deprivation or other torture methods if you want to get national secrets from prisoners.

There is more to the stereotype, for me at least, cos my hairstylist likes to reverse it. He's always telling me about his girlfriends (yes, he's not gay! Stereotype #2 busted!) and the problems he's had with them. He loves to gossip about the various customers in the shop and that's when I always ask him if he tells other people the stuff I tell him. Of course he says no. But still... I worry.





Playlist:
1. (0:00) The National - Secret Meeting (Buy Alligator)
2. (3:43) Beck - Devil's Haircut (Buy Odelay)
3. (6:58) Elf Power - Never Believe (Buy Walking With The Beggar Boys)
4. (9:33) The Spinto Band - Did I Tell You (Buy Nice And Nicely Done)
5. (12:44) Pavement - Cut Your Hair (Buy Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain)
6. (15:49) The Magnetic Fields - I Don't Believe You (Buy I)
7. (19:28) The Shins - So Says I (Buy Chutes Too Narrow)
8. (22:15) Longwave - Tell Me I'm Wrong (Buy There's A Fire)
9. (25:51) Bright Eyes - Pull My Hair (Buy Letting Off The Happiness)
10. (29:57) Weezer - Say It Ain't So (Buy Weezer [Blue])
11. (34:17) Yo La Tengo - The Lie And How We Told It (Buy I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One)
12. (37:34) Saturday Looks Good To Me - Not Good With Secrets (Buy All Your Summer Songs)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home