Sunday, December 17, 2006

Mogwai. Fear. Nothing

2006 has been a very good year for music I think, just cos there are releases from my 3 most favourite bands. Mr Beast was the most anticipated among all 3 since Mogwai's last studio album was released back in 2004 (Happy Songs For Happy People). Much had been said about their quiet/loud/quiet signature but if you listen carefully there's a lot going on in a Mogwai track than just blowing your eardrums off. And I think Mr Beast shows that there's a gentler side to the band as they incorporate well thought through arrangements and melodies into their q/l/q thing.

2006 is also the year that my wildest dream came true. When I heard that Mogwai is coming back in April, I thought I must be one step closer to my death (since my wish is granted and all that). Oh it would have been a happy death, that's for sure. I remember ticket sales started on 6/6/06...how appropriate, the day of the beast and all that. By some kind of providence or divine intervention, we got first.fucking.row tickets. I couldn't stop grinning or pinching myself that whole day.

I never thought that June—August was just 2 months apart; it felt like 2 fucking years.

If you think that their album rocked, you should have seen them live. Everyone present was touched at some level by the music and it's hard to deny the power of the wall of sound. At times it leaps for your throat when you least expect it (Fear Satan), and as the beast gnaws at your jagular, and life slowly seeps out of your body, you would never have felt more alive.

[mp3] Mogwai - Folk Death 95 (from matador records)

Ed: Alright. It's tiring being so "prolific," posting almost every day this week. This is the last of the "best of 2006" posts and we'll be back with the usual lazy weekly soundscapes episodes. Thanks!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home