Friday, November 24, 2006

Soundscape #14: I Turn My Camera On

London, 2005

I bought a camera recently to replace an old one that doesn't work anymore. It cost me quite a bit, even though I got a pretty good deal with all the freebies and stuff. To make sure that I don't feel like I've wasted my money make use of the camera, I bring it along with me everyday hoping to capture some truly spontaneous moments.

It's been almost 3 months now and while I have no doubt taken some nice pictures, it's rare that I even remember I have a camera with me most of the time, much less capture the truly spontaneous or random moment. And here is the Catch-22: I realise that to be able to even compute that a particular moment is a picture-perfect moment, it is necessary to be in that moment. But, when I'm in a moment, I'm in the moment and to be able to recognise the picture-worthiness of a particular moment, you have to be slightly outside the moment itself, looking in. Odd, innit?

This is especially true when you are on holiday. You look around with fresh eyes, marvelling at all the strangeness and soaking in all the foreign-ness of the place you are in and the last thing you want to do is to dig around your bag for your camera and fumble with the settings. By the time you get everything ready, the moment is already lost. You no longer feel as engaged, as into the moment you were just a while ago. What's important are the experiences and the feelings and no camera will be able to capture that.



Playlist:
1. (0:00) Spoon - I Turn My Camera On (Buy Gimme Fiction)
2. (3:32) Weezer - Photograph (Buy S/T [Green])
3. (5:51) The Cure - Pictures Of You (Buy Disintegration)
4. (9:95) Editors - Camera (Buy The Back Room)
5. (14:97) Lloyd Cole - What's Wrong With This Picture? (Buy Negatives)
6. (20:28) Bishop Allen - Click Click Click Click (Buy July EP)
7. (23:28) Death Cab For Cutie - Photobooth (Buy Forbidden Love EP)
8. (26:74) Cat Power - Living Proof (Buy The Greatest)
9. (29:85) Wilco - Kamera (Buy Yankee Hotel Foxtrot)
10. (33:15) Ryan Adams - Cracks In A Photograph (Suicide Handbook)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home