Friday, November 10, 2006

Soundscape #12: Time Will Have His Fancy, Tomorrow Or Today

Salvador Dali. The Persistence of Memory, 1931.

About a week ago, I got an email from myself a year back. It was one of those gimmicks where you email yourself in the future. Reading it was quite painful. Somehow I knew that the relationship I was in a year ago wasn't going to last the year. I had also known as I was writing that email a year ago that I would be exactly where I was then: slacking around, being lazy, not doing anything constructive, half-arsed etc. I don't know whether it's cos it's a self-fulfilling prophecy or just (heightened?) self-awareness.

Instead of an email that would come back a year later to bite me in the arse and mock me with its "I told you so's," I would very much prefer an email from the future me to where I am now, just so I have another chance to right the wrongs and fix them right again. Would it be too late to fix things? Maybe I should write to myself in the past instead. What should I say? What would I have myself do different? Would I tell myself to be kinder, more patient with others? Would I tell myself to be more trusting and not be frightened that I'm not in control of my life? Would I tell myself that it is better to be more forgiving or more forgetful?

More importantly, would I listen?



Track Listing:
1. (0:00) The Delgados - The Past That Suits You Best (Buy The Great Eastern)
2. (6:20) Athlete - Yesterday Threw Everything At Me (Buy Tourist)
3. (10:04) Jimmy Eat World - A Praise Chorus (Buy Bleed American)
4. (14:06) Gigolo Aunts - Half A Chance (Buy Minor Chords and Major Themes)
5. (16:59) Kevin Devine - You'll Only End Up Joining Them (Buy Put Your Ghost To Rest)
6. (20:55) Lloyd Cole - Past Imperfect (Buy The Negatives)
7. (25:39) The White Stripes - I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself (Buy Elephant)
8. (28:25) Jesse Malin - The Fine Art Of Self Destruction (Buy The Fine Art Of Self Destruction)
9. (32:20) Manic Street Preachers - From Despair To Where (Buy Gold Against The Soul)
10. (35:45) Drive-by Truckers - Hell No, I Ain't Happy (Buy Decoration Day)
11. (40:06) The Stills - Changes Are No Good (Buy Logic Will Break Your Heart)
12. (43:49) Malajube - La Monogamie (Buy Tromp-L'oeil)
13. (48:36) The National - Baby We'll Be Fine (Buy Alligator)

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't fucked much with the past, but I've fucked plenty with the future

from "Babeloque"

I was lost in a valley of pleasure.
I was lost in the infinite sea.
I was lost, and measure for measure,
love spewed from the heart of me.
I was lost, and the cost,
and the cost didn't matter to me.
I was lost, and the cost
was to be outside society.

from "Rock N Roll Nigger"

I reread this piece today. It is your most honest. I sat thru your mix too. Would you have patience if I pull you to away for a while?Would you dance barefoot with Patti Smith and abandon the past to the remains of the days...would you share her venom, would you spit into the whore that disguise itself as the future?

Patti Smith left a song for you from way back: Privilege(Set Me Free)

Feel free to live another day.

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home