Friday, October 06, 2006

Soundscape #7: "Who Knows Where Thoughts Come From? They Just Appear"

Damien Hirst. Opium, 2000.

Classic, classic line from Empire Records. It sounds retarded, sure, but I love the line, I love the movie. Was it really that good a movie though? I thought so when I first watched it. Maybe it's just easier to like something when you were younger and everything seems so new and fresh and exciting.

When we were younger, it seemed ok not to have everything make sense. Randomness was just another fact of life, a good thing even. But as we got older, somehow it seems harder to just let random stay random. Everything has got to mean something in the grand scheme of things somehow and everything has to be labelled or categorised. It's so stifling! This week's soundscape sticks a finger up at this dewey system of living one's life and celebrates randomness the way it's supposed to be: random.



Track Listing:
1. (0:00) Of Montreal - Disconnect The Dots (Buy Satanic Panic In The Attic)
2. (4:25) Andrew Bird - Fake Palindromes (Buy Andrew Bird & The Mysterious Production Of Eggs)
3. (6:77) Spoon - I Summon You (Buy Gimme Fiction)
4. (10:32) Bloc Party - Little Thoughts (Buy Little Thoughts/Tulips Single)
5. (13:62) Evan Dando - My Idea (Buy Baby I'm Bored)
6. (15:96) The Flaming Lips - Do You Realize?? (Buy Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots)
7. (19:28) The Thermals - How We Know (Buy Fuckin A)
8. (22:46) The Go! Team - Feel Good By Numbers (Buy Thunder, Lightning, Strike)
9. (24:04) The Magnetic Fields - I Don't Believe You (Buy I)
10. (27:44) The Strokes - Is This It? (Buy Is This It?)

You can also download the episode here.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aye to randomness! if only...

1:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home