Saturday, September 16, 2006

Soundscape #4: This Is Not My Beautiful House


I don't know if anyone knows this but apparently the Ikea catalogue is printed more times than the bible each year. Pretty mind-boggling eh? Granted, the Ikea catalogue is updated every year and is distributed free. But something within the glossy pages always seems to get me dreamy-- all these beautiful apartments, beds, closets, kitchens and rooms and stuff, you know? I realise though, I don't want just the sofa, or the couch or the Billy bookcase; I want the complete package, the floors, the carpets, sofas, the books, the artfully-cluttered apartment, the perfect mom fixing something in the perfect kitchen... etc. Damnit, I want to live in these pages. Bloody hell. It's all just an evil marketing tool targeted to get you to buy more stuff.

Ranting aside, there's nothing wrong with a little bit of daydreaming, is there? I don't think anyone would take offence to sitting down on a comfy chair and leafing through its colourful pages, sipping tea on a nice quiet Sunday afternoon, with some nice tracks playing in the background to help you fantasise about finally organising that over-flowing closet of yours or alphabetising your CD collection, to throw out the old and welcome the new and the possible.



Track Listing:
1. (0:00) Blood Meridian - Oh Oh Oh (Buy We Almost Made It Home)
2. (3:21) Elliott Smith - Fond Farewell (Buy From A Basement On The Hill)
3. (3:57) Feist - Mushaboom (Buy Let It Die)
4. (10:20) Headlights - Put Us Back Together Right (Buy Kill Them With Kindness)
5. (14:34) Scotland Yard Gospel Choir - Good Kind of Crazy (Buy I Never Thought I Could Feel This Way For A Boy)
6. (18:83) Pavement - Major Leagues (Buy Terror Twilight)
7. (22:07) Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - In This Home On Ice (Buy Clap Your Hands Say Yeah)
8. (25:65) The Postal Service - Sleeping In (Buy Give Up)
9. (29:86) Tegan & Sara - I Know I Know I Know (Buy So Jealous)
10. (33:33) The Ladybug Transistor - The Places You'll Call Home (Buy The Ladybug Transistor)
11. (37:34) Yo La Tengo - My Little Corner Of The World (Buy I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One)
12. (39:59) The Weakerthans - Everything Must Go! (Buy Left And Leaving)

You can download this episode here.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Readymade said...

So this is where you've staked out your little part of the internet. Was good meeting you last night :) Keep on posting, yah? See ya 'round.

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home