Friday, April 20, 2007

Soundscape #35: "Hello Moto"

Richard Stine. Get That Will You, (Year Unknown).

We are all so used to the mobile lifestyle that not having a mobile seems almost inconceivable. Text messaging too opens a whole new dimension of communication. From a simple "Oy, I'm here. Where are you?" to breakups to cries for help*, text messages eliminate face-to-face interaction; you don't even need to hear the person's voice!

Gone also are the days when people fix a place and time to meet—and keep to it. Nowadays I'm hardly on time for anything. If I don't think I'll make it on time, I'll text ahead to say I'll be late. If I'm early, I'll just roam around until I get a "Oy, I'm here. Where are you" message. It's weird to meet someone without a mobile. A friend forgot hers the other day and I actually had to stay at the agreed spot for a good 15 minutes. It felt really weird.

Being able to reach someone at any time you want also means that one cannot simply switch the mobile off. Hell, my mobile is also my alarm clock so I can't even switch it off at night. We are all so plugged in and it can only get worse from here. How are we to live our lives when life keeps barging in!?



Playlist:
1. (0:00) Saturday Looks Good To Me - Call Me
2. (3:27) Weezer - The World Has Turned And Left Me Here (Weezer Blue)
3. (7:49) The Strokes - The Modern Age (Is This It?)
4. (11:18) Ash - Angel Interceptor (1977)
5. (15:23) Mobius Band - The Loving Sounds Of Static (The Loving Sounds Of Static)
6. (19:29) Crooked Fingers - Call To Love (Dignity And Shame)
7. (22:52) Badly Drawn Boy - The Way Things Used To Be (Born In The U.K.)
8. (27:40) Dean & Britta - Say Goodnight (Back Numbers)
9. (31:32) Earlimart - Nevermind The Phonecalls
10. (35:11) Keane - We Might As Well Be Strangers (Hopes And Fears)
11. (38:22) Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism (Transatlanticism)

*if any of you should ever receive a "please save my sorry ass" text from me, drop everything, call me immediately and get me out of whatever situation I'm in!!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i actually like going around without a phone, which is why i can usually remain rather calm when i forget (which is often if you ask my friends)

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home