Friday, May 11, 2007

Soundscape #38: "Did You Forget That Yellow Bird?"


The yellow bird in the title refers to a canary and mine workers in the past used them to go down the mines first to test for poisonous gases. Cruel, sure, but that was how they work. The title is also taken off a Bright Eyes track ("We Are Nowhere And It's Now"), something I listened to over and over again on the 6-hour coach ride from Manchester to London 2 years ago. My ipod was running low on batteries and I had to listen to the same album over and over because I didn't want to risk changing the tracks and have my ipod remember that it's out of juice and die on me—you know how it is. It's funny how listening to that particular track immediately conjures up memories of that trip.

And I'm going again! I'll be going back to London and also embarking on my Kafka pilgrimage in Prague next week. This has been a long time coming and I've been planning and planning so much that I'm about to go nuts with maps and places to go, plane tickets, rail tickets, hotels, everything. I'd have like 15 tabs open in my browser and getting increasingly confused with the details (Transport Pass or the Oyster? It's a harder decision that you'd think it is); it's hard to keep that big picture in your head. Then when you get home, through your mail come the brochures you've requested and you see all the gorgeous pictures of landscapes, of neon lights and the city, of the people so deliriously happy. The concreteness of the trip and the everything just hit you and you have to sit down and take it all in. Slowly but surely, you start smiling to yourself, thinking "man, I'm really gonna go!" and you know that everything will be alright.



Playlist:
1. (0:00) Pink Martini - Sympathique (Sympathique)
2. (2:48) Lloyd Cole - Travelling Light (Antidepressant)
3. (6:32) Gene - London, Can You Wait (Olympian)
4. (9:42) Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea (In The Aeroplane Over The Sea)
5. (13:05) Teenage Fanclub - Fear Of Flying (Thirteen)
6. (18:28) Bright Eyes - We Are Nowhere And It's Now (I'm Wide Awake It's Morning)
7. (22:40) Gomez - See The World (How We Operate)
8. (26:45) Trespassers Williams - Different Stars (Different Stars)
9. (31:31) The Clientele - These Days Nothing But Sunshine (God Save The Clientele)
10. (34:55) The Wrens - She Sends Kisses (The Meadowlands)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home